Friday, August 04, 2006

People just love the Southwest, especially if they can only go visit it and not live there. It really SUCKS if you live there.

The romance and allure of the desert is still strong, however. People love to idealize the area, ooze about the wonderful climate (nevermind the summers/springs/falls where you feel like you are BAKING in a pizza oven!)

I am now visiting a friend who lives at 8,000 feet, and finding it a very different experience. Being a desert flat-lander, I have found myself gasping for air, and having altitude sickness. The air REALLY IS thin up here! And the weather is overcast, cool, and clammy. Kinda reminds me of the San Francisco Bay Area. It's jut like home, except the air was polluted, not clean like it is here.

There are many nice places to live in the United States; I'm sure some are affordable, and offer wages a person might make a middle-class living from. I doubt any of them are in the Southwest, which some (mostly the illegal aliens who have helped to drive down wages) call Aztlan.

There are many things I love about the desert, but the grinding poverty is not one of them.

3 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger An American Believer said...

Laine,

Congradulations on the new blog.

Hope you'll keep us informed on your travels and the wonderful climates you encounter via your posting here.

You're a very clear thinker and a talented writer.

Sincerely I pray,

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Coalbunny said...

Actually the thin air is good for you. Less pollutants is a common thought, but did you know that fat people can actually move more freely?

Thinner air means less wind resistance therefore fat people are actually more aerodynamic at 8,000 feet than they are at 2,000 feet or even at sea level.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Coalbunny said...

BTW, that's why I am up here!
But I am losing weight- 188 this morning....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home